SOLVED: Shutdowns all of the time!
It’s been nearly 6 months of the shut downs! I have a 15” Retina Late 2013 MBP.
I’m out of warranty but called Apple and was told to take it to the nearest Apple store or Best Buy Geek Squad. I took it to GS and they shipped it to Apple where they reapplied thermal paste.
It worked for a few hours letting me do everything I couldn’t for months. Then it started shutting down again! And the volume was out on one side. I sent it back, they fixed the volume but said they ran diagnostics again and found nothing. (I did notice that GS didn’t explain that the thermal paste did fix my problem for a night, they just wrote something like “redo, also volume is out now”)
I also want to note that after they worked on it the first time, during the time that it let me do a ton of things, it did shut down twice (long periods apart) but although the screen was black and all lights were off, the fan was really, really loud. I had to force a shut down both of those times.
The second time I got my laptop back, they had done a factory reset which didn’t help.
I called Apple yesterday to complain and they suggested I update my software (I hadn’t done so because I was afraid it might shut down during and make things worse).
I did the update (no shut downs) and then proceeded to use my laptop for a good hour doing things it would never allow me to do in recent months. I thought maybe the update had fixed my problem but I put it to sleep, got back on about an hour later and the second I opened Mozilla it shut down. Turned it back on, opened Mozilla, it shut down. Turned it back on, opened Safari and it worked for a bit but shut down a couple times there too.
This is SO frustrating. I use my Mac for work and have lost a great deal of money while going through all of this.
Here are things I’ve noticed:
- When unplugged it seems to shut down more frequently, I once tried to flatten and save a large file in photoshop but it took me four tries where I eventually had to go about it a different way to get it to save,
- I can use an external disc drive for hours watching TV with no shut downs (or only sometimes when it’s paused),
- I can plug in an external hard drive and transfer files or view files with no shut downs,
- I can play hours of Minecraft with no shut downs (though as time went on I did have a couple of shut downs while playing),
- For the most part the shut downs happen while browsing the web (I use Mozilla), I’ve used an HDMI cable to watch a movie on my TV with no shut downs.
- I can’t believe this has been an issue for some people for years and it is STILL an issue.
I wanted to list things I am able or unable to do in hopes that this will draw a better picture for someone that understands the inside of a computer better than I do. It’s interesting that the thermal paste seemed to work and I think the answer lies closely to that.
Is it possible that if I buy my own thermal paste and have that applied that it will work? I mean Apple just did that so I’m just not sure.
This was directly after a shut down and restart. I did notice at one point while using it, It said 70°C, but that’s the highest it went that I saw.
Cette question est-elle utile ?