Russell, here is what i got from the manual:
1. Remove axle housing. See REAR AXLE HOUSING ASSEMBLY under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. Remove differential cover bolts and cover. Remove axle shafts. See AXLE SHAFTS under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION.
2. Note letters on bearing caps and drive axle housing for reassembly reference. Remove differential bearing caps. See Fig. 4 . Mount dial indicator onto differential housing. See Fig. 3 . Preload dial indicator to .020" (.51 mm), then return dial to zero.
3. Mount Axle Housing Spreader (J-24385-01) to differential housing. See Fig. 3 . Spread drive axle housing to maximum of .015" (.38 mm). Using 2 pry bars, pry differential case out of axle housing.
4. Remove axle housing spreader. Using Differential Bearing Remover (J-29721), Adapters (J-29721-70) and Removal Plug (J-8107-03), remove differential case side bearings and shims. Mark bearing, race, and shims left or right side for reassembly reference.
5. Using shop towels, place differential case in soft-jaw vise. Remove ring gear bolts. Ring gear bolts are right-hand thread. Using a soft-face hammer, tap ring gear off differential case.
6. Using hammer and punch, remove pinion shaft roll pin and pinion shaft. See Fig. 4 . Remove pinion gears and thrust washers. Remove differential side gears and thrust washers. Mark all gears and washers for reassembly reference.
7. Using Pinion Flange Holder/Remover (J-8614-01), remove drive pinion nut. See Fig. 2 . Using Pinion Flange Remover (J-8614-1, -2 and -3), remove pinion flange.
8. Install differential cover with 2 bolts (to prevent drive pinion from falling out of housing). Tap out drive pinion. Remove cover, drive pinion and small diameter pinion preload shims. Save shims for reassembly.
9. Pry out drive pinion oil seal. Remove outer drive pinion bearing and oil slinger. Remove drive pinion bearing races from drive axle housing.
10. Remove drive pinion adjustment shims and baffle (if equipped). Keep shims and baffle together for reassembly. Using Differential Side Bearing Remover (J-29721) and 4 Adapters (J-29721-70), remove inner drive pinion bearing.
Hope this helps, good luck.
Differential Case Reassembly
1. Apply lubricant. Assemble side gear thrust washers with side gears. Install side gear assembly in differential case. Ensure side gears are installed on same side as removed.
2. Place pinion gears onto side gears. Rotate pinion gears and ensure pinion gears line up with pinion shaft holes.
3. Slide pinion thrust washers into place. Align pinion shaft with roll pin hole in case. Install pinion shaft.
Drive in roll pin.
4. Position ring gear on differential case. Align bolt holes. Install 2 studs, 180 degrees apart, into differential case. Press ring gear onto differential case. Install and tighten NEW ring gear bolts in a crisscross pattern to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS table.
Cette réponse est-elle utile ?
I have a question I got my rear differential out of a 2000 chevy suburban but now I have my casing out to change the spider gears I have two pin thing on the side with round thing ans a catch on it how do I take that off and then the gears out