- Camera won't turn on
- LCD is black
- The flash does not work
- Memory card error statements appear
- Other error codes
- Additional resources
Camera won't turn on
Hold switch on
- If the camera is off, press and hold the power button to turn it on.
Check if battery is placed correctly
- If the camera will not turn on after pressing and holding the power button try checking the battery. It is possible that the battery is in backwards. Refer to the battery installation guide here for more information on correctly inserting the battery.
Check if battery is charged
- If the battery is placed correctly in the camera, try connecting it to a battery charger and then using the charged battery.
The camera still will not turn on
- If the above steps were completed and the camera will still not turn on, it is possible that either a new battery is required or there is a hardware problem in the camera.
LCD is black
The LCD is black
- If the LCD appears black, make sure that the camera is turned on by holding the on/off button.
- If the LCD appears black and the camera is turned on, make sure that the sliding front cover is at the down position so the lens is displayed.
- If the LCD appears black while the camera is turned on and the front sliding cover is down, the LCD backlight may be off. To turn the backlight on, press the "display" button several times.
- If the previous steps have all been performed and the LCD still remains black, the camera may need to be reset to factory settings. To reset the camera to its factory settings, follow the guide here.
The LCD screen is damaged
- If the LCD screen is scratched or cracked, it may be replaced. Refer to our LCD screen replacement guide here for instructions on how to replace the screen.
The flash does not work
The flash is not on
- Press ▲ on the control button until the flash is on (lightning bolt symbol) or on AUTO.
The built in flash strobes even when there is sufficient lighting
- The flash will strobe if the flash is turned on to AUTO and there is a bright light source behind the subject or if the flash is turned ON (forced flash).
- NOTE: Always remember to clean the flash surface before use. Dirt may build up and cause insufficient light emission.
The letters "SL" appear next to the flash icon
- The letters "SL" will appear next to the flash icon on the LCD when the camera is set to the Slow synchro flash mode. When using the flash in this mode, the flash will strobe regardless of the surrounding brightness and the shutter speed of the camera is slowed down.
Memory card error statements appear
Error: REINSERT THE MEMORY CARD is displayed on the LCD
- If REINSERT THE MEMORY CARD is displayed on the LCD, remove and re-insert the memory card. For more information on inserting the memory card, refer to our memory card installation guide here.
Error: C:13:xx or MEMORY STICK ERROR appears on the LCD
- If an error code starting with C:13 or if MEMORY STICK ERROR appears on the LCD, the memory card being used is either not supported for use with the camera or is not properly formatted.
- Remove and re-insert the memory card. For more information on inserting the memory card, refer to our memory card installation guide here.
- The memory card may need to be formatted. To format the memory card, select the FORMAT option in the camera menu.
- The memory card may not be supported for use by the camera. Check to see if the memory card being used is supported by referring to the memory card compatibility guide here.
- If all of the above steps have been performed and these errors still occur, the memory card may need to be replaced.
Other error codes
Error: TURN THE POWER OFF AND ON AGAIN appears on the LCD
- If TURN THE POWER OFF AND ON AGAIN appears on the LCD, the camera has detected an excessive pressure on the lens leading to a lens malfunction.
- Turn the power off and on again. If the error is still not resolved, perform a power reset. To reset the camera to its factory settings, follow the guide here.
- If this error is still not resolved after performing a power reset, the CCD module may need to be replaced. To replace the CCD module, refer to the guide here.
The Sony troubleshooting page may also be helpful. Click here for the main DSC-T9 troubleshooting and how-to page.
Click here to return to the device page.