If your Xbox One shuts off all by itself, either in the middle of a game or shortly after powering it on, here are the most common causes and solutions. (If your Xbox One won’t turn on at all, see the Xbox One Won’t Turn On page instead.)
Cause 1: Incorrect settings
If your Xbox turns off unexpectedly after a period of inactivity, you may need to adjust the settings so that it does not turn off automatically:
1. Turn the console on and press the Xbox button on the controller to reach the Home screen.
2. Select the Settings option.
3. Select Power & startup, then Turn off after.
4. Select your preferred period of inactivity before the console automatically powers down.
Cause 2: Bad ventilation
If your Xbox still turns off unexpectedly, then it may be improperly ventilated, which can lead to overheating. If you receive a message saying that the console is getting improper ventilation, then you should:
1. Turn off the console.
2. Wait at least an hour.
3. Move the console to a well-ventilated location.
4. Restart the console.
A well-ventilated location is one where there are no objects on, under, or right next to the console. Ensure that all of the vents are clear and have good air flow.
If you still have trouble with ventilation, make sure the vents are clean. In some cases, you may need to clean or replace the fan.
Cause 3: Bad power outlet
If your console turns off unexpectedly during use or inactivity, the power outlet may be bad or the power cord could be plugged in incorrectly. Try plugging the supply directly into a different outlet (note: not through a surge protector), and check that the cord is properly plugged into the outlet and the console.
Cause 4: Bad power supply
If the power outlet works but the console still turns off, the power supply may be the problem. Check the light on the power supply; if the light is solid white or orange, then the power supply is working properly. If there is no light, unplug the supply and let it cool for 20 minutes, then try plugging it back in. If it still does not light up, replace the power supply.
Questions other people have asked about this
- Xbox Powers on and immediately powers off
- Why is my Xbox one keep turning off and on with the sensor beeping? X
- Xbox One turns on then turns off after a few minutes